Thursday, January 31, 2013

Wow, I Don't Know What To Say...Maybe I Do Have A Pulse!

As most of you know I have thought about throwing in my cards for greener pastures.  I didn't expect much of any thought on what type of comments on my blog from all I have met through the internet.  Not only did I get a lot of comments, but I got about a dozen emails from people who I have never heard from on my blog but who secretly read.  All that gave me a shot in the arm that I didn't expect, and hearing stories of others who have had these lulls, it does give me much needed hope.

I ended up laying wide away all night just thinking on what to do and where I could go.  I do feel great knowing that there are so many people out there that enjoy my random thoughts about nothing, that made my year so far!  Thanks!  Today I wrote down my pros and cons about collecting so I can really see if my heart is still in this.  Here is what I came up with:

1.  Collect ONLY baseball cards.
2.  Getting rid of all hockey, football and basketball cards.    That should reduce my hoard by about 30,000, so if you want to lay claims on certain players or teams for trade let me know.
3.   I need to get rid of cards I have doubles, triples...etc.  For example, does one really need 25+ 1987 Topps Barry Bonds Rookie Cards?
4.   Buy less blaster boxes, more hobby.  I need to stop buying $20 boxes of crap with the same cards over and over again, just buy a damn hobby box.  That retail card isle is like crack to me, I can't go to any store without hitting that isle a few times a visit.  9 times out of 10, I'm let down and wish I had that $20 back.  If I goto Wal-Mart three times a week, that could be 3 or 4 blaster boxes...may not get any thing good for $80, or I can just buy one hobby box for less.
All said and done, maybe a divorce isn't what the doctor ordered, but maybe just by me venting that there have been some things about the hobby and sports has gotten me down.  Maybe just sometimes venting every now and then may just get that monkey off my back, instead of carrying it around till I'm sick of it.  

This month I am going to make a much much better trade bait page in efforts to get rid of all those extra boxes of cards to help reduce my collection into something much more manageable.   Also, I will still be doing my breaks monthly...and thanks again everyone for that VERY much needed jolt in my collection arm. As for my health, I did get some bad news about the progression of my illness but I am combating that with stopping drinking ALL soda including diet, no junk food, no fast food, eating healthy and exercising   I don't really think I'm over weight, I'm 6' 1" and weighed 260, but I needed to make some real lifestyle changes.  In just TWO weeks I have lost 20 pounds, and now at 240!  No, losing weight will not make my illnesses change, but it could slow down the pace of progression, plus it will just make me feel better.  Me feeling better would make me able to hopefully once again get out and do much more with my wife and kids.  

For those who are waiting or have been waiting for my Feb Break Details...I will have them posted later tonight!  Thanks to the ones who were in the past two months breaks, sorry Buckstore for the mix up with having left off the customs label, you will get your cards by early next week with some extras!


10 comments:

  1. Glad to see you back! Can't wait for our next trade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed your last post, so I went back to catch up. I'm glad all the comments made you sit back and take notice ! Your new plan of action sounds pretty reasonable.I have been married for nearly 33 years and our two sons and I started collecting about 23 years ago, but family matters always come first !

    Good Luck !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Atta boy!
    No question, "real life" and family first, but I welcome you back to collecting and blogging!
    Now, about this break we're getting to...!
    Oh yeah, and all those Chargers cards I want from you...! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too missed that post, so I went back to read. Good to see you're not jumping ship, but rearranging the deck chairs. I can tell you that when I found all the blogs, it made me think completely differently about how I collect. It really was a great shot in the arm to see my collection as a labor of love instead of sometimes having future dollar signs in my eyes. For the first time, I really LOOKED at my collection, and dang, I have some cool sh*t! Plus, I get to see and be a part of some really neat things, and focus on what I would like to have, on the cheap.

    Stay around, keep blogging, keep breaking (I hope to take part in one in the next couple months) and just like what you have in your collection.

    And love your family - it's the only one you really get.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed your last post as well and I am glad you are sticking around. Sounds like you have your priorities straight and glad you found room for collecting and the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good news. No one needs all those other sports anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't been able to read other people's blogs much lately, so I really only came upon yours tonight for the first time in a long time. I hope to become a more regular reader if/when you write more. Still, I agree with everyone up there and in your previous post. No baseball tends to make people want to stop collecting. It comes and goes in waves sometimes. I think your strategy will be good for you, and if you ever need a place to send Bulls cards, I'm happy to help.
    --Jon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear you'll be sticking around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like everyone else already said, glad you found a way to make it work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read your first post but did not get a chance to make a comment. Seeing this post makes me feel happy to hear that you will continue collecting and blogging. I might have not been in the hobby as long as you have but collecting only baseball is the way to go. All the other sports are just a hassle. Hope your plans work out well. Looking forward to making some trades with you. Best of wishes

    ReplyDelete

No negative comments please, this blog is for fun and not intended as a business...just a collector giving some views.